Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sorry, I've been busy

My internship in Seoul ended last Friday. I moved out of my apartment on Saturday and went back to Gurye ... for 30 hours. Sunday morning, five or my students and I piled into a train for a 5-hour trek back to Seoul.

I'm spent in the travel department for a while.

But, my students are adorable, and the train ride only confirmed this already-held belief. (They couldn't eat lunch because they were too nervous/excited)

Sunday was orientation and games. 6 schools, each brought 5 students and the ETA. Then, we mix all of them up and put them in new groups. So, my small group of 5 only has one of my actual students. We do everything in large groups during the day and then in small groups at night.

Monday we had some speakers and visited Harley Davidson-Korea. I did an advertising project on Harley Davidson in college, so I was super excited about the tour. And it was fun. Yay. We capped the night off with bowling.

Tuesday we went to the American embassy and heard from embassy officials, including the U.S. ambassador, Kathleen Stephens. Good to see her again. :) We had Quiznos and Cheetos for lunch.

Happiest. Girl. In. Korea. (being at the army base has it's perks)

The afternoon we visited Seoul National University (the famed "best university in Korea." It's a really big deal. No one from my school has ever been accepted). The students were so excited.

We finished off the night with pizza dinner and noraebang (karaoke room). Man! Those kids can sing.

We are very busy, so here are some very rough videos for your enjoyment. Averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night, so sorry if this doesn't make sense. I had to post because my family thought I got lost in North Korea. *^^*

Also, the students have to keep a Web page about their activities. Check it out! http://club.cyworld.com/AYLP2010




Upcoming schedule:
Jan. 23 - AYLP ends
Jan. 24 - Skiing with the host family
Jan. 27 - Leave for southeast Asia
Jan. 27-Feb. 3 - Thailand kayaking trip
Feb. 4 - Feb. 6 - Malaysia
Feb. 6 - Feb. 10 - Cambodia
Feb. 10 - Return to Korea
Feb. 19 - Mar. 4 - Megan and Roni (friends from high school) are coming to visit me!!!

I'll post as much as I can!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update and schedule. Does your host family know you've never skied before? Good luck with that. But you couldn't ride a scooter before you left either.

    ReplyDelete